Sunday, February 7, 2010

Primer día: Domingo

So I woke up to the noises of this wonderful city this morning. I just keep thinking, how is this real? I can't believe I'm just here, in Argentina, going about my life. I haven't seen Miriam since she left me at the ISA office yesterday. Which feels kind of weird. I couldn't figure out if she was in the apartment or not this morning. Her cell was there, and there was a key in her door, and a cup of tea for me on the table, but I heard no noises or anything from the time I woke up at 9 to the time I left at 12. It was strange. It started storming, which I enjoyed, but kind of made it difficult to go exploring. I really want to visit this park near my apartment but it's probably all wet right now. When it stopped raining I grabbed my computer and headed out to find an internet cafe. I knew there was a starbucks near my house but it's going to take a while for me to get a grasp on where things are here. I started walking a bit and found a café called Pertutti. It seemed pretty ritzy though and I felt very much like an American sitting there with my computer and just a cup of tea. After a while though the Internet stopped working so I left. I finally found the ABASTO shopping center with the starbucks I was looking for. It's this fantastic mall. With all the tea I'd already had, I didn't really need the caffeine but I wanted the Internet. So there you go, my first white mocha frappuccino in Argentina. Delicious, as always. And I found a table with an outlet so I can charge my computer! Perfect! My goal was to sit here and talk to my parents on skype, but I don't have my cell phone with me. Dang. Just this Argentine version of a go phone. I bought a card with minutes for it yesterday but try as I might, I can't figure out how to load them. But I guess it's just as well, even if I could load them I don't know that I could figure out how to text the U.S. So here I am writing a blog :) It's kind of weird just hanging out in this city, but not knowing anyone. I didn't have any meetings today so I'm just on my own. And I'm comfortable wandering around and stuff during the day, but I'm not sure what I'll do tonight. I don't really want to be lame and go to bed at 11 again tonight, but we'll see. Later this week I meet the other USAL students doing the intensive month as well as the other ISA students, so hopefully I'll make some friends then. But until Wednesday it's just me. Tomorrow I have to figure out how to get back to the ISA office for a meeting about academic things. Maybe I'll ask Miriam which colectivos to take... if I ever see her again that is.

7 comments:

  1. Kaitlyn, I am SO happy you have a blog!! I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering if you made it there safely and if you are enjoying it so far... I'm glad I can keep up with everything you're doing through this! I'll be praying for you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a blog! Much easier than having to e-mail everyone. It was great to skype you today. Did you know we talked for 40 minutes?? Send Jared your blog so he's in the loop. Love you and so proud of you and your adventure!! Sounds like you have a busy week.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are grateful you made it safe and sound. You seem to be getting your bearings about you. It's good to find familiar things that make you comfortable. We miss your sunshiney smile and gentle spirit. God Bless and keep you. Until next time, Julie and the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaitlyn, We are so HAPPY that you made it safe and sound! What an adventure you are going to have! We will pray daily for you but we know that God will take care of you. Keep up your positive spirit . . . You are amazing!

    Love,
    Steph and the Whole Hee Haw Gang!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaitlyn,
    It's snowing in Fayetteville! Don't you miss that cold weather! Another 4-8 inches expected. We're cold and rainy! Enjoy the warmth!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry we kept getting disconnected. I didn't hear the story about someone coming up to you after we skyped on Sunday. Maybe later??

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom sent me the link! I love it! It's great to read about your experiences. In fact, I was in Monday Night Tutoring last night and kept telling my students to leave me alone until I was done reading!!! Stay safe!!

    Love, The Pratt Family

    ReplyDelete