Corriendo, manejando, hablando.... lo que sea, voy volando con alta velocidad. These days I feel like I'm flying. Speeding through life so fast I can hardly keep up. At least that's what it feels like to me. The Arkansas State Police Department seems to think so too. I got my first speeding ticket a few months ago, and in an effort to keep the ticket off my record, I had to go to court and take a defensive driving course, send in my records from Texas and all that. This process of dealing with a ticket began in November and is now finally finished. I am free. But still flying it feels like. Actually I've been much more careful about my driving speed anyway. Although in some sort of mishap I got pulled over again a few weeks ago. This time, however it genuinely was not my fault. The cop that pulled me over clocked me at going 83 mph but I am one hundred percent positive I was going 74. His justification for pulling me over was that my car was black, and so was the car that was speeding. Ok. At any rate he gave me a warning so all's well that ends well I suppose.
But this whole ordeal really has made me stop and think, why the rush? Between student teaching, grad school, working at the church, tutoring, having a boyfriend, seeing my friends and getting ready to enter the workforce, it hardly seems realistic to go any less than 180 mph. Figuratively speaking of course. I don't think that a.) my car could even go that fast and b.) any police officer would just give me a warning for una velocidad tan alta. Really, with as fast as my whole life is going, that first police officer should have shown a little more understanding because 10 over is a pretty reasonable pace, all things considered.
Nevertheless, I guess it's a good reminder to slow down every once in a while. If only por un momentito.
2016 in books - part one
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment