Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mar del Plata

So last Friday was the ISA goodbye luncheon for all the Belgrano people. It’s weird to think that I’ll probably never see most of those people again. Except Julie of course! I mean, I didn’t even know most of them very well, but still, it’s kind of sad. And I’m really sad to see Erica go. I love that girl. I guess it’s more sad to think that they won’t likely see each other ever again, and they all became such good friends these past 4 months. I don’t want to think about saying goodbye to my friends here. Way too much to handle.

But then I got to spend the whole weekend in mar del plata, a city about 5 hours away from Buenos Aires and right on the coast. It was freezing, but so much fun! It's actually a really cool town. Or city I guess, it has like 3 million people, but it kind of feels towny, which is nice. It's got beautiful beaches, a fun metropolitany down town or centro, mountains and a lake. And some very lovely people. Kind of a bit of everything! I still think it's really funny though that as sad as I was to leave mar del plata, I still love coming back to Buenos Aires.

Ok so I think I actually figured out how to post pictures. You know, just in time for me to leave in a week and a half. What?

And just a few words on the bus station in Retiro. Most stressful thing ever. I hate it. And it can not possibly be an efficient way to run things. So the tickets say it will be within these 14 or so platforms, and you just have to rush there and look at all of them. And there’s no waiting area really, so everyone just stands there in the middle of the walkway. And nobody has any idea which buses go to which platforms until they arrive. Un quilombo! Fortunately this time, there were lots of people that worked there helping me (unlike when I went to Mendoza with Ann and we ran all over the place without a clue), but either way it was stressful. But finally I came upon a group of other people going to mar del plata on my bus. A woman from England and several people from Scotland. And the bus was late (better than early) but eventually I made it on board. And coming back from Mar del Plata was easy breezy. I guess it's just buenos aires that it tricky.

And on Tuesday, in case you haven't already heard, we played Greece in the world cup and won, 2-0!!! Such an intense game! We didn't score until well into the second half! Kind of stressful. But it was sooooo much fun. We reserved a table in this restarant with the girls from my etnología class (that I am now officially and successfully done with!) and watched it on this giant screen! Also I guess I should rescind my comment about the USA team. Maybe they are kind of good. But either way, not as good as Argentina. This sunday we play México!!!!


And then we all went to the obelisco to celebrate with all the other crazies! It was so fun. And I bought a jersey! So I'm officially Argentina now.

No comments:

Post a Comment